Thursday, February 26, 2009

Does enchantment pour out of every door? No, it's just on the street where you live.

I am feeling so sick of hearing words.



Let me explain. I am a lover of words. Their power is so extreme, and the way you arrange them, fit them together like some sort of puzzle, can change everything. Everyone has their own specific brand of rhetorical style, and that's what makes words so unique. We all use basically the same words, but we format them differently and that's what gives us our voice.


Still, I feel like I'm just going to die because all people ever do is talk talk TALK. I get so sick of the talking. SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND DO SOMETHING! Okay, so you don't like the way the world is; CHANGE IT. Stop criticizing every move. Stop trying to make your peers feel inferior because you use pretentious words all the time. Hello! We're English majors; we all know big words. You bitch and whine every day about how your life sucks. Well get up and CHANGE IT.

There is unmeasurable value in knowing the intricate details of the English language as well as improving vocabulary and lexicon. However, this is not France. This is AMERICA. In America, we don't sit around and talk about things; we do things; we get things done. If we don't like something, we do something about it. We take action. This country was founded on the fact that we didn't like how we were being treated by the British, so we told them about their fat selves, and we totally kicked their collective ass. These are the values of a proper American, and even as a future expatriate, I value these characteristics that our forefathers appreciated and we are losing.

I'm reminded by a song from My Fair Lady called Show Me.



Words! Words! Words!

I'm so sick of words!

I get words all day through;

First from him, now from you!

Is that all you blighters can do?

Don't talk of stars Burning above;

If you're in love, Show me!







We have a president, who has gotten where he is by talking a big game. He is a splendid orator, and that is a wonderful and lucrative skill to possess. And it is quite possible that he will shut his mouth one day and do something. I hope he does.

But until that day, my mantra will be, "Do something." And I mean it. Shut you mouth and do something.

2 comments: