Well friends, I'm back!
My excuse for not blogging before was that I had nothing to write about. However, due to my job teaching English as a Second Language and my upcoming move to Chicago, I feel I have more than ever to discuss: fears and excitements, victories and failures.
Today I had a wonderful lunch with two of my students, Sukainah and Saleh, a married couple from Saudi Arabia. They cooked Arabic food for me, and it was delicious. I always feel so honored when students invite me into their homes like that. In their culture, it's a tremendous sign of friendship. They tell me I am kind. I'm not convinced they're right, but I'm so glad I've given them that impression.
I took with me my English translation of the Koran, so they could help me with some words and the Arabic alphabet. I love learning about their religion, language, and culture. It sounds crazy but the more I learn about Islam, I feel more connected to Christianity. I guess more like honored to have been chosen to know the truth. It's my dream to study Arabic...maybe in Egypt. After obtaining a Master's Degree, I'm hoping to apply for a Fulbright for this.
I'm moving to Chicago after summer semester--around August 13. I'm very excited to be moving on with my life, but as someone who usually avoids change to the most bizarre and unreasonable degree, I'm also a little scared. It doesn't make it any easier that things with my job at ESLI are going pretty well, and I seem to be succeeding there. The top three things I'm most scared of about moving are...
1) The curriculum will be too difficult for me.
2) The people will think I'm stupid because of my accent.
3) I will not have any friends.
I'm officially putting these aside because I've prayed and prayed about this move, and I'm convinced it's God's will. Now that my family is on board, we're moving forward. I always said I was made for more, for something different than small town life. We're about to find out if I'm just a bunch of talk, all hat and no horse as they say out west.
yay!!! i'm so glad you're back! :D glad things are going so well even though everything is about to change. we should see each other soon!
ReplyDelete