Obviously, this weekend I've been celebrating Independence Day with my family in Hazard. I can't help but feel extremely patriotic at a time like this. I love America, and when I think about the small-time American soldiers defeating the big, bad wolf that was the British
Empire at a time when they owned half of the world, I swell with pride that that is my history, a history all Amercans share. As much as I love travelling and as much as I would love to experience living In another country, I will always be American and will always take pride in our history and the example of democracy, justice, and fairness we have
been to the world. Maybe America has gotten off track since the Puritans first came here in the 17th century, but My prayer is that God will bless us by bringing us back to Him.
We got back from Kings Island at about midnight on Friday night, and yesterday I drove to Hazard from Bowling Green. I love our Fourth of July traditions. First, all of Hazard has a fish fry together. Unfortunately, I didn't make it in time for that. Then at dark, everyone on my street, Lyttle Blvd, gathers at the end of the street and watches the Hazard fireworks together. We've done this for as long as I can remember. This year, I wasn't expecting a big family get-together...since there are no kids in family, holidays don't really seem to be a big deal anymore. I was expecting just me and my grandparents, but to my surprise, my mom, sister, aunt and uncle all came! Plus I also met my sister's boyfriend. We watched the fireworks with some dear family friends and neighbors. We caught up with each other and laughed for an hour or so.
Today, I attended a wonderful service at my home church. Then my stepdad's family had a cookout. I met my stepdad's brother's new wife for the first time since I couldn't make it to their wedding a few
weeks ago. She was really nice and seems to fit in well with our family. My stepdad introduced me to her as his oldest daughter; I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.... Anyway we sang hymns and stuff. It was fun.
The only thing that sucks
about this weekend is that I have TONS of essays to grade..…BOO! But I love my job anyway.
HAPPY FOURTH!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment