Monday, October 4, 2010

Library

I got to school early again because I was hanging out with Kaitlen. We went to the Chicago Public Library and then for lunch/coffee. The library is amazing! I couldn't get a library card today because you need a piece of mail to prove you live in Chicago (since I don't have an Illinois driver's license), but I'm going to go back soon to get one. You wouldn't believe it. There are like 9 floors of stacks. There's also a separate children's library. It's also in a beautiful building, of course. It made me feel so wonderful to be there! I can't wait to get a library card.

I went back to the Moody Church this Sunday, and it was really good. They were having a conference this week about the Middle East and how to evangelize as well as bring peace to Jews and Muslims. I didn't go to the conference, but a guest speaker spoke instead of the preacher. He was a Messianic Jew and has written books and stuff. His name is Joel Rosenberg. He told a story about a radical Shiite Jihad Muslim he met who had converted to Christianity after reading the New Testament he had picked up at a Bible burning. He read it with the purpose of telling his followers how stupid it was, but the Lord worked in his heart. This story made me cry because after teaching at ESLI last year and meeting Arabic friends and students, my heart has been with the Middle East. It seems impossible to bring Christ to them because they so believe in their ways (by "they" I mean Jews and Muslims), but the only reason it seems like that is because we limit God. He created and then saved the world, of course he can change the hearts of Jews and Muslims. It's definitely dangerous to preach the gospel to these people, especially in their own countries, but Jesus demanded it in the Great Commission. We have to tell everyone, all nations, not just the ones that are safe.

After church there was a luncheon with a jihad Muslim who had converted to Christianity. I didn't get to go because I had a meeting, but he told his story there. He travels and tells his story even though his own family would kill him if they saw him. I pray that one day I will be so bold.

Anyway, I really love going to church there. I think Wes liked it, too, and we'll probably go back. Their music is like Baptist hymns (even though the church doesn't affiliate itself with Baptist or any denomination) and contemporary Praise and Worship songs. The music there is great. This week, in honor of the focus on Judaism, some students from the Moody Seminary sang a medley of Hebrew Praise and Worship songs, and it was absolutely beautiful. And the inside of the church is gorgeous. Wes and I went to the Visitor's Center afterwards to meet with some of the people. I can see myself going there long-term. And maybe joining a Sunday School class.

Wes and I went to The Counter for lunch, which I'd heard Oprah had mentioned as the best place to get a burger in Chicago. It was really good.

I've been hanging out a little more lately. Mostly with Kaitlen, Molly, and Wes. We go to Improv shows or just hang out. This past Friday, we intended to go to an improv show, but it was sold out, so we watched a movie and ordered Chinese delivery instead. It was laid back but fun. It's nice to have friends here because I wasn't sure I would at first. I also have a friend at school and some more that will probably become friends in the near future. My roommates are still pretty cool, though I didn't see either of them that much this week. When I'm at home now, I usually have to study. Today I'm turning in my first graduate assignment. It's a short paper, and my professor already read a draft of it and responded positively, so I'm not too worried. Of course I want an A, but if I get a B, it'll be okay. That just means I need to improve and learn more and that's what I'm paying so much for anyhow!

For those of you who are wondering, my Chess Pie turned out well. It didn't look so pretty, but it tasted delicious! Also, I'm an expert at making cornbread.

Wednesday Kandace and Rachel from ESLI are coming to visit me! I'm really excited to see them and show them the city. We're also going to Medieval Times, which I've always wanted to do! Also, Professor Rutledge will be here, and we're having dinner on Thursday night. It's going to be a great week, but I don't know how I'm going to get all my reading done.

Next Tuesday I start my job! I can't wait for that! I need money, but I also just want to get to know the family and the baby. It's going to be great.

Class time.

Love.

1 comment:

  1. so glad that you've enjoyed church so much..and that library sounds amazing! it's quite sad, but i haven't been to the library in years! I just tend to buy my own books...and lend them out...i'm my own library! ;)

    love you dear, and can't wait to see you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete