Thursday, October 28, 2010

This and That

Well, hello. It's been a while, hasn't it?

I got really busy all of the sudden and haven't had time to write. Here's how my life has been going.

Kandace and Rachel came to visit, and we had A LOT of fun. We went shopping and to the beach and to MEDIEVAL TIMES! Medieval Times was, like, the most fun I've ever had. I got a pink dragon stuffed animal. We cheered like crazy people for the green knight and ate with our hands. I was really sad when they left.

I also got to see Professor Rutledge that weekend because it was WKU's fall break. He bought me dinner at a really nice place that his class was eating at. It's nice to still have a WKU connection.

I got to go to Kentucky for Whitney's wedding. I spent two nights in Hazard and two nights in Bowling Green. It was great to see my family and my friends. I miss all of them a lot. Right before I went to Kentucky I got pretty homesick. It's weird though because my family is in Hazard, but I get homesick for Bowling Green. My whole adult life is in Bowling Green. It's really hard to leave there.

There aren't many interesting things to say about Hazard. I just hung out with family. In Bowling Green I stayed with Dawn and Sarah. I had Cozy with me, and they were okay with having cats stay with them.

We had Whitney's rehearsal dinner on Friday. It was fine. I actually got a little upset because during her bridesmaid speeches, I felt kind of left out. First, she went on and on about how she and Kelly had "clicked" immediately. She praised her for traveling so far and said she "didn't know anyone else who would do that for a wedding." HELLO?!?!?!? Someone else would, and her name is ME! I travelled, too! I took a whole week from my schoolwork and drove all the way to Kentucky. Kelly didn't even drive; she flew, which is so much easier. I spent money to get there, too. Anyway, during my speech, Whitney proceeded to call me loud and obnoxious. She said this in a loving way, but that is in no way loving at all. It's like how old country women say "The poor thing's a slut, bless her heart." Next, she gave Elizabeth's speech in which she went on and on about how they clicked and had everything in common. Honestly, I felt hurt and kind of betrayed. She said these things in front of her and Daniel's whole families. I was embarrassed to even be seen at the wedding and couldn't wait to leave the rehearsal dinner. She also had told me that they weren't staying together that night and that she was staying at her family's house that night. Then at the rehearsal dinner she said she was staying at Elizabeth's house with Elizabeth and Kelly and was disappointed that I couldn't stay. I mean, I had my cat at Dawn's house. I can't just leave her there for Dawn and Sarah to take care of! I guess she just sucks at planning.

The wedding was nice. The church is pretty and the decorations were beautiful. The reception kind of sucked, since there was no dancing or even a bouquet toss. It felt kind of like a shotgun wedding, like thrown together fast. Pimento cheese sandwiches on white bread were the menu. After this, we took pictures for hours. It was truly terrible.

Then Whitney left without saying bye to us. I was sad because I'm 99% sure I'll never see her again. She doesn't put a lot of effort into staying in touch, and I think it would be too big a disappointment to call and call her and never get a call back. She doesn't seem that interested in friends since she has a big family plus now she and Daniel are married. Oh well, such is life.

The best thing about the Bowling Green stay was seeing some people. As soon as I arrived, I went to ESLI and saw some students, Patti and Elena, and Rachel and Kandace. The first night, Rachel came to Dawn and Sarah's and we watched The Incredibles and laughed and talked. Then the next night after the wedding, Kandace came over and we watched Sweeney Todd. On Sunday, I had breakfast at Cracker Barrel with Sarah, went to Jackson's Orchard with Kasey, and had lunch/dinner and went to Wal Mart with Elizabeth. For this, I'm glad I went there. It still felt like home there.

I am confident in my decision to move here, but I still feel homesick sometimes. I know this is just an obstacle that I have to overcome because the alternative is staying in Kentucky forever. My mom called the other day, and I just couldn't talk to her because I was sad. I do miss my mom a lot. Also my sister and my grandparents. Sometimes I feel so far away that I might forget who I was.

Like I said, I know being here is right, though. I found a great job that I'm really enjoying. Adele is really cute (she's sleeping right now) and actually kind of low maintenance as far as 3 month olds go. Her parents are really nice, and I make plenty of money. I'm making friends well, and I'm not really lonely at all. It helps with the homesickness that Kaitlen, Molly, and Wes are my friends. They are all from WKU, and I love hanging out with them. We always have a good time. I feel like I'm really a part of a group. It's also great to have a church partner (Wes). It's hard to be lonely when you don't have to go to church alone. I mean, I even went to church alone in Bowling Green. We are still really loving the Moody Church. I feel blessed that we found it. I'm going to put some thought into joining a Sunday School class.

My school friend, Libby, is also fun. We usually get together before class and have dinner. I'm happy I made a friend in the English Department so quickly. School's going well. I made a 90% on my first paper in Rise of the Novel class. I wish I had done a little better, but we'll see how I did on the second. I turned that in Monday. In Literary Criticism class, I got a B+ on the midterm. That's all it said was B+, no percentage. This worries me a bit. I'm at a disadvantage in this class because I've never studied literary criticism before, and some of my classmates have. Plus, I don't really like it that much... I'm doing my best, so that's all I can do. IF I do get a B in that class, I will be disappointed, but I will know that I really did do the absolute best I could do. I am learning a lot and that is truly the most important thing. School takes a lot of time and causes me a lot of stress.

I think I've said enough for now.

Love.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update dear--it was so great to see you! I'm sad to read more details of the wedding--that is no fun at all. I've been in that kind of position before too though. And honestly, sometimes it's just nice to know that that chapter of your life is over!

    Sorry you are feeling homesick, but I'm kinda glad that it's for BG! Also sorry that it didn't work to stay here w/Cozy, but we'll figure something out for next time. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wedding sounded terrible. :( I'm sorry!

    (This is Brittany Anne's cousin Erin, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete