Thursday, September 16, 2010

School and Stuff

The past few days have been great!

I'm officially a graduate student, as I have been to two graduate classes: "The Rise of the Novel (18th Century)" and "Literary Criticism." I am sure I will learn a lot in both classes. There was one girl in both of my classes, and I think we'll be friends. She mentioned to me shamelessly that she loves Twilight and saw Eclipse multiple times in theatres. Instant friends.

Before class on Tuesday, I went to Target to get some stuff ready for my job interview I had Wednesday (more on that later). As it turns out, we have a new Target close to here. It is awesome! The carts and baskets are new and designed so cool. There's an escalator AND a cart escalator. Their actual stock is a lot like any other Target. They have LOTS of clothes, but since I am currently unemployed, I only looked :(

So I made an abbreviated version of a teacher portfolio for this interview. This is for a job that is 30 hours a week and involves a lot of work. It's also in the south, which is WAY scary. My mom said she was surprised my car didn't get stolen LOL It's funny because that's exactly what I was stressing about to my roommates the day before. Seriously y'all, this place is the epitome of projects. The position is Literary Tutor at a high school for low income at risk students. I haven't heard about the results, but if I get the job, I don't think I'll take it. I need an easy job, so school can come first. I also don't want to have to carry pepper spray in my purse. (I really did that. Colleen lent me hers). School has to be my first priority. It's definitely going to require a lot of work, but I know I will learn so much. It'll be worth it.

Wednesday after the interview I didn't really do much, just hung out with my roommates. I've said it before, but they're fun, and I like them. I've lived alone for a while now, and I had forgotten how awesome it was just to know that people are here. Last night, I read for 18th C class on the couch while Colleen studied GRE at the table, and every now and then we talked. It made studying so much better just to do it in company. It's nice to have people to talk to at the end of the day.

Today I finally set up a bank account with Bank of America, but I'm totally not sold on their procedures. I can only go to a teller to do things I cannot do at an ATM. If I go to the teller to deposit a check, they charge me. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!?! Whatever. If it becomes a pain, I'll switch to another bank. Then I went to Curves for the first time since coming to Chicago. It was great! The people there were so nice just like my Curves in Bowling Green. I think I may not bother with visiting around; I'll probably just go ahead and make it official and transfer there. It's kind of a pain to get to: a walk, then an L ride, then another walk (I could substitute bus for walk), but it's worth it. Really, the women there were really nice. They talked to me and were interested in my life.

After Curves, I went to Intelligentsia, which is a coffee shop, to read for my Literary Criticism class. It was cool studying there. I think I might make it my regular place. FYI it's the coffee shop they go to in Gossip Girl.

This weekend will be FUN. Tomorrow I'm going with Kaitlen (a friend from WKU) to a play, Saturday I'm hanging out at Wicker Park with my roommate Katherine, Saturday night I'm going to dinner with Patti's (my officemate at ESLI) sister, who is visiting here. Sunday trying out a new church.

Of course, you all will hear all about it.

ALSO I promise pics of my apartment in the next post!

LOVE

S

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad things are going great for you, Savannah. A little jealous of your big adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like everything is going so well! love you dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete