Saturday, September 11, 2010

My First Week in Chicago

Wow! It's hard to believe I've been in Chicago for a week. It got off to a rough start since my friend who helped me move ended up being completely hateful. The good news is that ever since I dropped them off at Union Station, everything has been perfect! I love living here so far. However, who wouldn't love it when their only responsibility is sitting in their apartment and exploring the third biggest city in America??

The job search is on. I've been applying everywhere I can think of! I have an interview for a literacy tutoring position at a low-income school on Wednesday. I really hope I get this job because if I do, I won't have to worry about money. There will be a lot of work involved but not more than I can handle.

I love living in Chicago! I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo, where I saw lions. I really love lions. The zoo is free! Can you believe that?

Last night, I went to Navy Pier and took one of the Shoreline tours of the Chicago River. I heard a lot about Chicago history and saw some pretty views, but mostly I learned that it's very cold on the river at sunset...

I have been spending a lot of time alone, which doesn't bother me at all. But I also really love hanging out with my new roommates, Katherine and Colleen. They are nice and funny. I think we will have fun together. Last night we watched New Moon on Katherine's HUGE TV, and tomorrow we're going to see Eclipse because it's being re released for Bella's birthday, which, as you all know, is September 13th.

I love the lifestyle here. You just walk out of your apartment and walk to your grocery store, bank, restaurant, shopping, etc. There's no need for driving, and if you need to go far, there's a bus or an L. I know you guys know this already, but it's such an amazing thing to just walk down to the Market Place (which is the name of my grocery store) and buy the things you need. There's another place a few streets away that carries Aero Bars, which I fell in love with in England. This place is aptly named World Market. It's more expensive, so I'll probably just buy my chocolate there :)

Our apartment and my bedroom are coming along as far as unpacking goes. I'll include some pics on the next post.

I love and miss you all!

S



My beautiful city from Millennium Park

3 comments:

  1. so glad that you're having a great time so far! i'm proud of you :) and boo on hateful friends!! i'll beat them up!!

    have fun and keep in touch love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. i often use too many exclamation points...but i'm just so excited about you!!!!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds utterly delightful my dear. :) miss you.

    ReplyDelete